Thursday, September 09, 2010

County Wicklow in Ireland

There are so many photos that illustrate the serenity of Ireland. I have chosen a scene from Glendalough in County Wicklow, the home of one of my forebears, Matthew Lyon (1746-1822). Lyon came to American as a poor emigrant but rose to be a colonel in the American war of independence and a member of Congress.

Yesterday afternoon we stopped at Glendalough for a visit. The national park is the site of a monastery and religious community dating from as early as the 6th or 7th century A.D. This tower is thought to belong to the 11th or 12th century A.D.


This morning we visited the Waterford Factory store. At the moment we are in Blarney. I suspect that some of the group has been out kissing the Blarney Stone. Others are shopping and eating lunch. Tonight we are scheduled to be at Killarney.

Everyone seems to be in good health and cheerful today.

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Blogger Leon said...

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
--Leon

 
At 12:18 PM , Anonymous Amy Giddings said...

Went to Wicklow Beach seven years ago, and they had the greatest rolled stones (not seashells). I loved them so much, I brought some home! Scared me going through customs... I thought they were going to say I was stealing part of their country.. hehe!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home